Saturday, September 22, 2012

Beliefs



BELIEFS

"To believe in something good and not to live it, is dishonest" - Mahatma Ghandi
 "You never know how much you believe in something until its truth or falsehood becomes a matter of life and death" - C. S. Lewis
"'Do not be afraid of your fears, they're not there to scare you, they there to let you know something is worth it" - C. Joybell

When it comes to beliefs, the first thing that may come to mind are our religious beliefs. Perhaps this so because religions are held in such high regard throughout the world. Religion is a great example to show how beliefs are set up in our minds. We tend to believe spiritual elders or leaders because we see they hold a fair amount of respect in our communities. They are, after all , authorities of God. At least that's what I gathered as a kid growing up.

This fills the first requirement; generally beliefs are set up by authority figures when we are little kids. We tend to believe authority figures when were are still young. That’s obvious because we have
no ability to reject what we are told, most often these authority figures are our parents. We believe and trust them because, after all, they feed and clothe and love us.

The next requirement to set up a new belief is - repetition. If we repeat a lie to ourselves often enough we will begin to believe it. Confidence is merely a belief in oneself. Having succeeded before, we
expect success and have a strong belief that we will achieve success again. For a long time I repeated the opposite of what I wanted. I flunked out of first year university and because I had 'failed'  - I
believed I was a failure. I kept repeating this to myself over and over reliving the embarrassing experience mentally, with the strong negative emotional charge not only thinking failure, but now intensely feeling it, emotionally.

This is the third requirement. Emotional intensity attached to an idea. When we think and feel an idea repetitiously, we impress this idea on our subconscious minds and then the things we look at and experience in our environment, tend to strengthen this idea. This is what cements the belief in our mind, the perception that proves to us through observation and experience. It is really not the experience but the interpretation of the experience. The inner representation of the event or memory of the event. It is the emotional state created inside by the outer event which leads us to believe that it must be true. As we think in our heart, so it is. We then tend to attract and be attracted to people events and things that 'prove' our beliefs as true.

This does not have to be so. Beliefs, as real as they may feel, do not represent the truth. They only represent the truth to us. But now we know that the 'truth' is subject to perception. Perception is how we see the world after our inner world or reticular activation system (RAS) has filtered, distorted or edited the actual event, memory or experience.
This means what we perceive, may well not be the truth. This means that what we perceive inside has gone through a process of editing before we come to our conclusion about what just happened.

What we need to do is change this is to become more present. To observe ourselves as we would another person. See the event, experience it and view that event as if we were a casual observer. We can, in that moment, break the connection between what is happening and the association with the negative response pattern we have developed. In that moment we have our point of power. In this moment we have the choice to reframe the idea or concept so that we direct our focus to
empowering thoughts, actions and feelings. It might go something like this... -  So someone has said something hurtful or offensive to me. Right at the moment before I internalize and emotionalize this
experience, I may take a step back and observe my habitual reaction and then think, or say aloud ... - That wasn't very nice. That is their problem. They have no power over me unless I accept what they said. In doing this, I have regained my inner power from the experience, and instead of validating this event against my belief system, I can establish a new supportive response system and my belief
about myself has changed. This all happens when we slow down and respond instead of reaching blindly. I have just created a different result when I repeat this thought and behaviour with myself as an authority and feel good about it.  I create an empowering belief and repeat these steps every time I find myself reacting to an event in the old way.

Remember whatever you believe to be true about yourself. You are always correct. Even if that belief is holding you back and keeping you in bondage. So, choose empowering beliefs. Ask yourself, if I want to create the life of my dreams, what would I have to believe about myself ... Then create them.
To your success!

Ramon Watson is a dynamic Thinking into Results facilitator with Bob Proctor. He is passionate in providing service and giving people more of the means of life. If you want to improve any area of your life contact Ramon on :
Cell               +(27)73 980 8461
Or email on   ramonwatson@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment